10 terrific tips to build you own den
There’s nothing better than building your own den. Making your own space with what you find in the woods and enjoying it afterwards, it’s perfect fun for all ages!
Here are Bollo’s ten terrific tips for building your own den (but remember, the most important tip is to have fun and be safe!).
- Find a nice sheltered spot for your den away from the elements. This will make your amazing hideaway even easier to build and enjoy.
2. You can build a den with whatever you find in the woods, but if you want to take a shortcut all you need is a line and an outdoor sheet. Tie the line between two sturdy trees, place the sheet on top and enjoy relaxing in your hideout.
3. If you’re building a den with what you find when out and about then all you need is two tall branches, a sturdy tree and outdoor sheet. Make a right angle with the branches and place them against the tree. Drape your sheet over or go one better and rest more branches on your frame. You can then cover it with leaves and twigs.
4. Choose lighter branches if possible. Sturdy, light pieces of wood will strengthen your den and make it safer to enjoy.
5. Don’t forget the food! Den building can be hungry work, and there’s nothing like enjoying a picnic in your own woodland hideout.
6. Use tent pegs to tie your outdoor cover sheet to the ground. This will help strengthen your den and make it a much sturdier structure.
7. Outdoor blankets or a carpet of leaves will make your den a more comfortable place to hang out in. Can you make to comfiest and cosiest hangout?
8. Once you’ve built your den think about decorating it. Will you have a woodland theme that blends in or make an amazing, eye-catching escape with bright blankets and decorations? It’s your den, so get personalising!
9. Make sure your den is safe to leave. You may want to take it down afterwards and let someone build their own amazing outdoor hideout. You can always come back and see if you can build a better one next time!
10. You don’t even need to leave your Landal accommodation to build a den. Practice with chairs, blankets and bedding at home (but make sure you ask permission first!).